Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 001 - Atlantic City to McKee City NJ

The temps were in the 40's and the steady early morning rain subsided as it was time to start the walk.

A big thank you to Fox 29 Philly, KYW radio and Gwynedd Mercy College (Joan's alma mater) for providing coverage of the send off. The link to the Fox interview is in the MEDIA COVERAGE section of my blog.

Thirty Liberty Bell Wanderers came down to see me off. I started by dipping my shoes in the Atlantic facing west and heading for another large body of water. US 40 is joined with US 322 for the first 13 miles. It is a busy 4 lane highway thru a heavily commercialized area.

The walk got off to a late start due to a car fire that shut down the Walt Whitman Bridge which had everyone scrambling for alternate routes. Carol Talaga is the first person to be listed on my blog as completing an entire days walk with me. Because of the late start we finished the 14 miles right at sundown.

The first time I was in Atlantic City was by accident. We were dating and Joan had made reservations for a bus trip to Ocean City, NJ. She told me to meet her at the Reading Terminal. Unfortunately I was at the terminal in Philly and she was in Norristown. By the time I called her Mom who drove down to get her (way before cell phones) the bus had left.

I checked the bus terminal in Philly and found that they had regular departures for Atlantic City and had her catch a train to Philly. I am so prone to getting sun burned that I remember setting up a blanket under the boardwalk.

As Joan was fond of saying - today was a good day (she even said it on the day hospice was first mentioned).

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on Day One of your amazing journey !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for what you're doing and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete