Tuesday, December 18, 2012

PREAMBLE

With apologies to Lou Gehrig I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth to have known my wife Joan for over four decades. I am a better person because of her. Before she passed away from the dreaded disease she told me if there was anything that I could do to use her experience to help other women with ovarian cancer she was for it. This is the reason for the walk.
Joan and I walked thousands of miles as members of the Liberty Bell Wanderers chapter of the American Volkssport Association. An additional goal of the walk is to raise awareness for the AVA and of the numerous benefits of walking.
Joan knew that being a Buckeye I was extremely interested in the National Road and the part that it played in bringing Ohio and the rest of the country beyond the original colonies into the union. In the 80’s she bought me a book written by a couple that drove the National Road (US Route 40) coast to coast using the same route a college professor took in the 50’s. They took pictures in the same locations 30 years later. On the portion of my route that is on the National Road I will attempt to take the same pictures 30 / 60 years later.
I appreciate all of the amazing support that you have been providing. The two things that I could still use help with are lodging and someone to shuttle me to or from my car along the route. If you have any questions contact me at ocmdbreeze@aol.com. Please forward this information to anyone you think would be interested.
Dave Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment